Today, we will walk through the steps of getting the Straight Talk activated and ready to.
Activating Your Straight Talk Hotspot
- Once you have purchased and received you Hotspot, go to straighttalk.com and click the Activate/Reactivate top menu option.
- Select the “Activate My Straight Talk Service” option if not already selected, then click the Continue button on the bottom right hand side of the page.
- Enter your hotspot’s Serial number in the “Serial Number/MEID/DEC” box. You can get your device’s serial number from either the back of the hotspot or the included Straight Talk red card.
- Enter the zip code where you will be using your hotspot.
- Enter the pin from your data card in the “Service Pin” box. You will need a Straight Talk data card (at least 1gb $15 card) in order to use the hotspot. You can purchase it direct from Straight Talk if you do not have one during the activation process. Don’t worry about waiting to receive it because Straight Talk will automatically apply it in the process.
- Enter your existing Straight Talk account email and password. You can select the Create Account option if you are new to Straight Talk.
- Straight Talk will now activate your hotspot. It may take 5-10 minutes for the hotspot to be active.
Completing the Hotspot Setup
Follow these steps for completing your Hotspot activation and getting it ready for use.
- Turn your Straight Talk Hotspot device ON. You will also need your computer or tablet on as well.
- From your computer, tablet or phone, scan for Wi-Fi networks. Be sure to turn on the Wireless option on your computer, phone or tablet. The name of the Hotspot device will be UMX$ and the last three digits of the Hotspot Serial Number. For example, it will show as UMX$123 if the last 3 digits of the serial number are 123.
- Open up an internet browser screen once your computer, phone or tablet has connected.
- Enter 192.168.1.1 in the browser’s address bar.
- The Hotspot will prompt you for a username and password once the page loads. Use admin for username and 12$ and the last 3 digits of your hotspot serial number. For example, enter 12$123 if your hotspots serial number ends in 123. (I highly recommend you DO NOT change this admin password because it cannot be reset easily if you forget it.)
- Your hotspot will show a large “Setup” button the first time you activate it. Go ahead and click it.
- It may take about a minute but eventually, the hotspot will show “Setup Complete” once activation is done.
- Before using it any further, you will want to secure your WiFi. By default, the Hotspot is open for anyone to connect. Do so by going to the “WiFi” tab, select one of the security options and follow the steps. You may need to refresh the 192.168.1.1 web page after the “setup complete” in order to see the WiFi tab.
That’s it! You are done activating your Hotspot. You can test your internet connection by visiting your favorite website.